Friday 15 July 2011

1st Hospital visit

My first appointment, how exciting…….. Visiting the hospital on the 15/07/2011 was really the commitment to seriously consider the option for surgery as I knew that something had to change in my life.

For anyone else who has taken the same steps, it's a demanding time and for many can only be experienced on the day by those who have take the same stepping stones.

I hate hospitals at the best of times, not only for that distinct spell they seem to give but the knowledge that this is a place of both happiness and sadness. The thought of all these things seemed to somewhat disappear as all I had on my mind was the potential journey I was about to undertake. I needed to remain positive so that the hospital could see that I was serious about the change and appreciated the risk and the life changing circumstances that if I proceeded I would have to undergo.

The appointment first involved a meeting with the dietician and then anaesthetist then finally the Consultant. After all this I returned to the main reception where I was directed to the to the department that took blood.

I was told by the Dietician that I must ensure that a weight loss has occurred and that most importantly I hadn't gained any more weight.

Some of the paper work I had received indicated that I must loose 5Kg? however when I last raised this all I was told was that I mustn't put any weight on.....easier said than done.

Did you know that in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales training is overseen by the Royal College of Anaesthetists. Anaesthetists in the United Kingdom are doctors who have completed either a five-year or six-year undergraduate training program or a four-year program open only to holders of a first degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment